Happy Friday! I’d originally taken off today thinking it would be for final holiday shopping but I just clicked “purchase” on my last item on the list. Whew! That leaves the day ahead free for an early afternoon movie, decking our new mini-tree, and a fancy dinner tonight (more to come on that later).
Save the weather, the holidays really are my favorite time to be in New York City. Everything is decorated, from tourist sites down to office buildings. Love it. The city is so beautiful all shiny and colorful.
There are so many fun things happening as well. If you’re looking for some things to do this weekend, here are some ideas to get you started.
- It’s a good weekend to get crafty and make your way through those final Christmas gifts. Tomorrow and Sunday is Etsy New York’s 8th Annual Holiday Handmade Cavalcade at Chelsea Market. The Cathedral Church of St. John the Divine also has their Crafts at the Cathedral this weekend, running today through Sunday. Admission is $6 for one day or $7 for the weekend.
- Saturday is Cyndi Lauper and Friends: Home for the Holidays at the Beacon Theatre. This year, she’ll be joined by Natasha Bedingfield and Boy George, among others. Tickets are still available, starting at $50.
- Target First Saturday is back at the Brooklyn Museum.
- The amazing Lena Hall will be doing her own solo show, The Villa Satori—Growing Up Haight Ashbury, on December 4th and 5th at 54 Below. Tickets are still available here.
Not wanting to leave your house much this weekend? Here’s something for you. Check out this simple mulled wine recipe from one of my Brooklyn favorites, Smith and Vine.
- 4 cups of apple cider
- 1 750ml bottle of full bodied red wine
- juice and zest of 1 orange
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 3 star anice
- 4 cloves
- slices of orange
- chopped green apple
Combine all the above ingredients in a good sized saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer on very low heat. Pour into mugs and garnish with the orange slices and chopped apples from the saucepan and serve
Have a wonderful weekend!